Here it is folks!
Our team at Creative Tradition and Cork Academy of Music put out the call, and the young artists and musicians of Ireland answered!
The Island of Woods’ was a collaborative audio and video project led by Creative Tradition in partnership with Cork Academy of Music and Music Generation Cork City in early 2021. In total, 26 musicians of all ages were involved, and over 50 young artists submitted their visual art work. Young musicians recorded themselves playing ‘The Island of Woods’ by Liz Carroll, using sheet music and a click track. This audio was then all compiled together with artwork inspired by the title and these submissions were edited together to form the music video as part of the Cork St. Patrick’s Festival.
This fantastic project was deservedly shortlisted in the ‘Youth & Community Award’ Category of the ‘Cork Celebrates Lifelong Learning Awards 2021‘. A huge well done to all involved, and sincere thanks to Cork City Council Arts Office for their support of this project.
• Composer: Liz Carroll
• Arranger: Jessie Cawley
• Editing & Mixing: Jason Turk, Jessie Cawley & JJ Riordan
• Video Production: JJ Riordan
• Introduction voice over: Harry and Benjamin from Scoil Iosagáin BNS
• Music by: Creative Tradition students at Scoil Iosagáin, Club Ceoil Blarney, Cork Academy of Music students, Scoil Mhuire Fatima, other members of Comhaltas and within the trad community.
• Artwork: A special thank you goes to Kobe for his wonderful art and timelapse video. Our students in Scoil Isoagain BSN also contributed many of the pieces of art, especially Ms Healy’s Class for the forest animals, Ms McDonnell’s class for the colourful trees, and Mr Hennessy’s class for the Island of Woods drawings and paintings.
• Music educators supporting young musicians: Paul Clesham, Karl Nesbitt, Joe Philpott, Rory McGovern, Frances Curran, Matt Rafter, Jessie Cawley, Jason Turk, and Jimmy Hynes